HESLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HESLINGTON, (or Heslington St Paul), a parish in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, East Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of York, its post town. It is a small village situated on the E. side of the vale of the Ouse. In 1855 several relics of great antiquity were found in a gravel pit a short distance from the village, consisting of bracelets, gold rings, and two stone coffins. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £63, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is a small structure, with a tower containing two bells. The charities consist of a hospital for 8 aged men and one woman, founded by Sir Thomas Hesketh, Knight, in 1608. Here is school for both sexes, erected in memory of the late Yarburgh Yarburgh, Esq. The Wesleyans and Independents have each a place of worship. The principal residence is Heslington Hall, formerly the seat of the Hesketh family, and built in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Mrs. Lloyd is lady of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013