Hide

HESSLE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

hide
Hide
Hide

"HESSLE, a parish in the county of the town of Kingston upon Hull, locally in the East Riding ; the village is situated on the banks of the Humber, across which is an ancient ferry, and 4 miles w.s.w. of Hull. Considerable quantities of chalk stone are obtained in this parish, and Paris white is manufactured of an excellent quality. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to All Saints, and a chapel each for Wesleyan and primitive methodists. The living of Hessle is a vicarage, in the gift of the crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Edmund Garwood. A small hospital and a free school here, have each a trifling endowment. Many genteel residences are in the village and neighbourhood. The parish, including 'Garrison-side,' extra-parochial, contained, in 1831, 1,538 persons."


"ANLABY, is a village and township in the county and town of Kingston upon Hull, partly in the parishes of Hessle and Kirk Ella, 4 miles w. of Hull, containing, by the last census, 398 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]