HESSLE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HESSLE, a parish in the hundred of Kingston-upon-Hull, East Riding county York, 5 miles W. of Hull, and 6 from Brough. It is a station on the Selby, Hull, and Leeds branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village is situated on the river Humber, at the ferry to Barton, and was formerly held by the Stutvilles, Wakes, &c. There are two whiting manufactories. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £303, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities produce about £126, of which £8 goes to Chamberlayne's hospital and school. There is a National school for both sexes, and a chapel for Wesleyans."
"ANLABY, a township in the parishes of Kirk Ella and Hessle, in the county of the town of Kingston-upon-Hull, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the W. of Hull. The Hull and Selby railway passes near it. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here. Anlaby House, the principal residence, was the seat of the Anlabys and Legards to whom the manor formerly belonged."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013