[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HOLLYM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 2 miles NE. of Patrington. This village is pleasantly situated on a small eminence. The present church (see Churches for photograph) was built in the year 1814, by the vicar, the Rev. Charles Barker, M.A. and is dedicated to St. Nicholas. Pop. 260."
"RYSOME, in the township of Holmpton, and parish of Hollym; (the seat of George Henry Sherwood, Esq.); 2¼ miles SSE. of Hollym, 4 miles from Patrington, 13 from Hedon."
"WITHERNSEA, in the parish of Hollym, wap, and liberty of Holderness; 1½ miles N. of Hollym, 4 miles NE. of Patrington. A small village situated near the sea, the church has long been a ruin; formerly it was a magnificent building, and is supposed to have been suffered to decay, as the village from its decrease in wealth and population, was unable to support so large and costly a structure. This is one of the sister churches, and is dedicated to St. Nicholas (see Churches for photograph). In the records of the reign of king John, it is mentioned that there was a priory here subordinate to the abbey of Albemarle, in France. Pop. 108."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Nicholas' Church, Hollym.
- St. Nicholas' Church, Withernsea. (view 1)
- St. Nicholas' Church, Withernsea. (view 2)
- The Methodist Church, Withernsea. (The Church's website is here.)
- The United Reformed Church, Withernsea. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Roman Catholic Church of SS Peter and John Fisher, Withernsea.
- Transcript of the entry for Hollym in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Hollym.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hollym to another place.
- Between 1823 and 1892 the township of Withernsea (in this parish) became a parish in its own right. See Withernsea Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA345252 (Lat/Lon: 53.705906, 0.036139), Hollym which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish