Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HOLLYM.     Church dedication: ST. NICHOLAS WITH WITHERNSEA. - SAINT MARY.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 3,350 acres. Holderness wapentake, S.D. -Population, 351 *1; Church-room, 300 *2; Net value, £420. -This Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Abbey of Albermarle as parcel of their Cell of Birstall ; afterwards it came to the Priory of Kirkstall, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.

Mr. Torre does not give the endowment.

8th December 1444, the Archbishop decreed that the parish Church might be rebuilt on Priest Hill, the old Church having been destroyed by the violence of the waves beating against it in a certain tempest ; and on the 28th July 1428, a commission was directed to the Bishop of Dromore to consecrate the said Church.

The Hothams were patrons, but Sir Charles Hotham gave the Advowson to the Corporation of Beverley, who first presented in 1717. In 1816, Henry Barker, Esq. and the Rev. Christopher Barker presented *3.

Torre says-" 1st April 1409, license was granted to the inhabitants of Hollym, being parishioners of Withernsea, by reason of their distance from this parish Church and other hazards of ways and inundations, to have divine service celebrated in the Chapel of Hollym, and to bury their dead in the chapel-yard."

The Church is valued in the King's books, at £9. 19s. 2d.; Synodals and Procurations, 11s. 6d.; and Pension to the Archbishop, £1. 13s. 4d.; and Withernsea is valued at £13. 3s. 4d. per annum. In Pope Nicholas's taxation, the Church of Withernsea was valued at £8 per annum, and the Vicarage at the same sum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 265, 266, it is stated: " Vicarage only 40s. per annum." " The Church is very much decayed, insomuch that it is thought £300 will not repair it ; the town being much wasted by the sea, that part that remaineth is near adjacent to Owthorn, and some part near Hollym, it is thought fit to be united, part to Owthorn, and part to Hollym, whither the Vicarage house hath been long since removed, where there is a convenient Chapel, fit to be made a parish Church, the Vicarage thereto belonging worth yearly £50."

6th September 1813, a faculty was granted to rebuild the Church.

Inclosure Acts were passed 33rd and 39th, and 40th Geo. III.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, " being a thatched building, and not half large enough for the incumbent's family ;" and in 1834, returned " unfit."

The Register Books commence in 1564.

Charities:
Town Stock. This consists of the sum of £47, part of the sum of £63, the amount of ancient benefactions to the poor of Hollym (the remainder whereof was laid out in erecting certain poor's cottages after mentioned) ; a donation of £21 from the late Mr. G. C. Pape, in 1805 ; and a further sum of £13, contributed by the inhabitants, which sums were thrown together into one fund ; of which £49. 10s. is lodged in the hands of the overseers for the time being, at interest ; and the remainder, £31. 10s., has been lent on mortgage of copyhold land. The interest of the latter (£4. 1s.) is distributed, 6s. thereof in bread on the first Sunday in every calendar month to poor widows who attend the Church, and the remainder amongst poor widows at Christmas and Easter, by and at the discretion of the overseers.

Poor's Cottages. These consist of three small tenements, adjoining the church-yard, which are understood to have been purchased with part of the town's stock, and are occupied (rent-free) by widows or other poor families, put in by the overseers, and they are kept in repair at the expense of the parish.

rent charge of 10s. per annum, donor unknown. This is supposed to have originated at the time of the inclosure in 1793. The rent charge is payable in respect of land, the property of Ebenezer Hodgson, and distributed by the overseers to poor widows as aforesaid.

George Cook Pape's charity, by will, dated 31st January 1813. £270 invested on mortgage, and the interest, £13. 10s. per annum, is paid to the schoolmaster, who, in consideration thereof, instructs eleven poor children, nominated by the minister, churchwardens, and overseers, in reading, writing, and arithmetic, free of expense, except for books and stationery. The master also teaches other scholars.

Church Estate. This property consists of a close, called the Church Close, containing about 3a. 0r. 16p. of land. The land is under the management of the minister and churchwardens, and, according to tradition, was originally given to provide a salary for winding-up the Church clock, to which purpose the rents were applied until about thirty years preceding the Report, when the clock fell to decay, and the rents have since been applied for the repairs of the Church. The Church was rebuilt in 1814, partly by subscription, and partly by rate ; but the sum raised being insufficient, a further sum of £100 was borrowed of a Mr. Edward Coates, in consideration whereof the Church close was demised to him on the 16th November 1816, for the term of twenty years, at the nominal rent of one penny per annum, in virtue of which Mr. Coates was, at the time of the Report, in possession of the land. -Vide 9th Report, page 761.

Post town: Pattrington.


References:
Torre's MS., pages 1477. 1481. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 155. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Holam), page 175; (Witfornes), 175. Burton's Monasticon, page 299. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 1056.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Hollym, 221 ; and Withernsea, 130. -In 1834, the population of Hollym was returned at 404, and Withernsea at 108.

*2 In 1818, estimated at 3.50.

*3 Query, Did the Corporation sell the next presentation, or the Perpetual Advowson ?


Other information:
PRIORY. -Here was an alien Priory, Cell to the Abbey of Albemarle, in France.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.