HOLLYM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"HOLLYM, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Withernsea, and the township of Hollym, and containing 368 inhabitants, of which number, 260 are in the township of Hollym, 3 miles N.E. from Patrington. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £9. 19. 2., and in the patronage of the Mayor and Corporation of Beverley. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, was built in 1814, by the Rev. Charles Barker, then vicar. George Cook, in 1813, bequeathed £300 towards the support of a school, the interest of which is applied to the instruction of eleven poor children."
"WITHERNSEA, a chapelry in the parish of HOLLYM, southern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS; East riding of the county of YORK, 19 miles S.E. from Kingston upon Hull, containing 108 inhabitants. The chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is apparently the remains of a magnificent building, probably the church of a priory which existed here in the reign of John, a cell to the abbey of Albemarle in France."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]