HOLLYM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HOLLYM, a parish in the S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Patrington, its nearest money-order office. The village, which is small, and irregularly built, is situated near the coast. The Hull and Holderness section of the North-Eastern railway passes through the parish, stopping at Hollym Gate on Tuesdays, and having its terminus at Withernsea. The parish contains the townships of Withernsea and Rysome. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil a strong clay. The German Ocean has made considerable encroachments on this shore. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Act of Enclosure in 1793. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £420. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a modern white brick structure with a tower containing two bells. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum, of which £14 goes to Pape's free school. The Rev. Christopher Sykes is lord of the manor."
"RYSOME, a village in the township and parish of Hollym, East Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Patrington."
"WITHERNSEA, a chapelry in the parish of Hollym, S. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Patrington. It is the terminus of the Hull and Holderness branch of the North-Eastern railway."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013