HOLLYM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Holderness (South Division) - Petty Sessional Division of South Holderness - County Council Electoral Division of Withernsea - Poor Law Union of Patrington - County Court District and Rural Deanery of Hedon - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish and township is situated near the German Ocean, from which it is divided by the long, narrow township of Withernsea. The boundary of the civil parish is not conterminous with that of the ecclesiastical ; Rysom Garth, in the latter, is for all civil purposes included in the parish of Holmpton. The area, exclusive of Rysom Garth, is 2,037½ acres; the rateable value, £2,206; and the population in 1891 was 235. The soil is strong clay, with a substratum of red clay; and the chief crops are beans, wheat, oats, and barley. Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., Sledmere (lord of the manor); W. H. Wilson-Todd, Esq., Halnaby Hall, Croft; Rev. Chas. Day, B.A., J.P. ; Col. Harrison-Broadley, Welton, Brough; Col. Thompson; J. Simpson, Nafferton; Thomas Charles Coverdale, Hollym; Charles Kirton, Hull; and William Hilton, Samuel Bilton, Robert Hart and Robert Dibnah, of Hollym, are the principal landowners.
There is very little of interest in the early history of the parish. In Domesday Book the name is spelt Holam; and in later documents it is variously written Holayme, Holeym, Holym and Hollym. The manor was anciently held by the family of St. Martyn; and has belonged to the family of the present owner since the beginning of the 18th century. A branch of the Wakes had land and a residence at le Avenum in Holaym, in the 14th century, and in the 16th and 17th centuries were extensive landowners in the parish.
The village is small and scattered, and stands about three miles north-east of Patrington, and two miles from Withernsea station on the Hull and Hornsea branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church of St. Nicholas, originally a chapel under Withernsea, was given with the latter church to the Abbey of Albemarle, in Normandy, or its English cell at Birstall, and was afterwards transferred to the Abbot and Convent of Kirkstall. On the 11th of April, 1409, license was granted to the inhabitants of Hollym, being parishioners of Wythornse, by reason of their distance from the parish church, and other hazards of ways and inundations, to have divine service celebrated in the chapel of Hollym, and to bury their dead in the chapel-yard in future. The church thenceforth became parochial. At the dissolution of religious houses, the patronage reverted to the Crown; and subsequently it came into the possession of the Hothams, one of whom, in 1710, presented the advowson to the Corporation of Beverley. From the latter body it was purchased by the Rev. Robert Barker, and now belongs to Colonel Hague. The church was rebuilt in 1814, at a cost of £888, and was again taken down in 1884, and the present edifice erected on the site at a cost of very nearly £1,000. It is built of white brick with red facings, from the designs of Mr. Demaine, of York, and consists of chancel, nave, vestry, and a western tower containing two bells. The principal entrance is under the tower. The roof is open timbered, and the nave is furnished with open benches to seat 180. An organ was added in 1885, at a cost of upwards of £100. The living is a discharged vicarage, united with Withernsea, in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Day, B.A., J.P., of Lincoln College, Oxford, who resides at Hollym House.
The tithe rent-charge is £36, and there are about 250 acres of glebe land, the tenant of which occupies the Vicarage House. There is a "wool tithe," and a "whin tithe," payable by the townships of Hollym and Withernsea; the former belongs to Mr. W. R. Bilton, of Hollym, and the latter to Colonel Harrison-Broadley.
A chapel was erected by the Wesleyans in 1824, but the building has gone to decay. The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1860.
The school, with master's house attached, was erected in 1856 for the accommodation of 50 children. It is endowed with £270, left by Mr. George Cook Pape, in 1813, for the education of poor children of Hollym.
CHARITIES - The late Mrs. Sykes left the sum of 52s. a year, payable out of Manor farm, to be distributed in bread every Sunday in the church; and 6s. per annum, out of the church fund, is distributed in like manner, monthly. The interest of a small benefaction, left by Mr. G. C. Pape, is distributed yearly amongst poor widows; and the rent of a close containing three acres at Withernsea is applied towards the expenses of the church.
Rysom Garth, see Holmpton.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.