Holme On Spalding Moor
The Ancient Parish of HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 5 miles SW. of Market Weighton, and well known by the name of Hemp Holme, from the quantity of Hemp formerly cultivated here. The hill or mount on which stands the ancient church, is a very fine object, particularly on the high road to York from Market Weighton." (There is further information for Holme On Spalding Moor).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Photographs of the over 1230 of the gravestones at Holme on Spalding Moor with linked surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Holme on Spalding Moor (view 1).
- All Saints' Church, Holme on Spalding Moor (view 2).
- The Methodist Church, Holme on Spalding Moor. (The Church's website is here.)
- The ex-Zion Methodist Church, Holme on Spalding Moor, founded in 1880.
- Christian Fellowship meeting place, the Scout Hall, Holme on Spalding Moor.
- The Chapel, Bursea.
- Internal view looking down the aisle
- Transcript of the entry for Holme on Spalding Moor in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Holme on Spalding Moor.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Holme On Spalding Moor to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE802384 (Lat/Lon: 53.835675, -0.782784), Holme On Spalding Moor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE788381) Water End
- (SE818366) Rascal Moor
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish