HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, a parish in the Holme Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 4½ miles S.W. of Market Weighton. It is a station on the Selby and Market Weighton railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated under the Beacon Hill, from which this division of the wapentake derives its name. It formerly belonged to the Constables and Langdales, of whom was the royalist general, Sir Marmaduke. The shock of an earthquake was felt here on the night of the 18th of January, 1822. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The soil consists of sand, clay, and peat, with subsoil marl and clay. There is also a bed of gypsum containing ammonitæ. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £600, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a tower containing three bells. The eminence on which it stands commands a fine prospect, in which York Minster is a prominent object. The parochial charities produce about £80 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a Roman Catholic chapel attached to the Hall. On a site presented by Sir Edward Vavasour, of Haslewood, about 2½ miles E. of the village, stands the reformatory school for juvenile offenders. Holme Hall is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013