The Ancient Parish of HOLMPTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HOLMPTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness, 4 miles E of Patrington. A village near the sea, which is extremely healthy, the church (see Churches for photograph) is a small structure of which the King is the patron, and the Rev. Charles Cornelius Chambers, M.A. the rector. Pop. 256.
A great part of this village is in the parish of Hollym, the boundaries of which are difficult to ascertain."
- Photographs of over 200 gravestones etc at Holmpton Church with linked surname index.
- Here is a photograph of St. Nicholas' Church, Holmpton.
- Transcript of the entry for Holmpton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Holmpton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Holmpton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA366234 (Lat/Lon: 53.689194, 0.067138), Holmpton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The plaque dedicated to the crew of Avro Manchester L7523.
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society: