HOLMPTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"HOLMPTON, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from. Patrington, containing 256 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4.13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church has lately received an addition of sixty-five free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £30 towards defraying the expense. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is situated near the North sea, and is considered a healthy spot. There is a small endowed school."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]