Hide

HOLMPTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

hide
Hide
Hide

Wapentake of Holderness (South Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Withernsea - Petty Sessional Division of South Holderness - County Court District of Hedon - Poor Law Union of Patrington - Rural Deanery of Hedon - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.

This parish is situated on the coast, and contains, according to the Ordnance Survey, 1,903 acres of land and 94 acres of foreshore. The rateable value is £1,898, and the population in 1891 was 195, and at the previous decennial enumeration, 198. Mrs. Charlotte Parker, who is lady of the manor, Holmpton Hall; Joseph Sykes, Esq., Brighton; Thomas Holden, Esq., Winestead; Hull Trinity House; and the Rev. H. Torre are the principal landowners. There are about 51 acres of land in the parish belonging to the Trustees of Parker's Charity, Beverley, and about 100 acres of glebe. The soil is mixed, resting chiefly on red clay. Wheat, oats, peas, beans, and barley are the general crops.

At the time of the Norman Conquest Holmetone was held by Ode, Whelp, Alestan, Azor, and Grimchel, but these five Englishmen were disposessed and their lands given to Drogo, under whom they were held by another Norman adventurer named Walter. In the reign of Edward III. the manor was held by the Abbot of Thornton, and it probably continued monastic property till the dissolution of religious houses. The subsequent descent of the manor is not very clear till the latter part of the last century, when it was inherited by Philip Wilkinson, of Whitby. it was afterwards held by Mr. Prickett, and then changed owners three or four times by purchase. It is now the property of Mrs. Charlotte Parker, relict of the late William Parker, Esq.

Holmpton Hall, the residence and property of Mrs. Parker, is situated near the cliffs, and is well sheltered by fine old ash trees. It was rebuilt in 1866, in the plain Italian style. The hall that occupied the site previously, dated from the time of Queen Anne, and was fast falling to decay.

The village stands near the coast, and is partly in the parish of Hollym. It is 14 miles east-by-south of Hedon, and four miles east of Patrington station, on the Hull and Withernsea branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church of St. Nicholas is a small Gothic structure, comprising chancel, nave, and embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell. The tower, which is of brick, was rebuilt in 1832. The church was restored at a cost of £1,000, in 1874, when the walls were cased with brick both interiorly and exteriorly, red bricks being used for the inside and white for the outside, and the roof raised about 10 feet. The interior of the church was stalled and restored at the expense of Mr. Lawrence Stephenson, in remembrance of his sister, Jane Elizabeth Feaster, of Cliff House, Holmpton, who died in 1874. The stained east window, by Messrs. Wailes, of Newcastle, was presented by the late William Parker, Esq., and his wife, and the stained light in the nave, exhibiting the Resurrection, was given by Sir Thomas Watson, in memory of his brother, the Rev. John Watson, rector of Welwick. There are no ancient memorials. On the south wall of the chancel is a mural tablet to the memory of Mrs. Elizabeth Nockalls, who died in 1767, and by her will left the sum of £40 for the benefit of the poor of this parish, but this charity has been lost. On the wall of the nave is a very neat tablet, of statuary marble, to Mary Ann, daughter of Samuel Walter, Esq., who died in 1820. There was formerly a chantry in this church, in the patronage of the Hoton or Hutton family.

The living is a discharged rectory, formerly in the gift of the abbot and convent of Kirkstall, now in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. William Dyson, Queen's College, Birmingham. Its gross value is £100, with residence. Land was allotted in lieu of tithes in 1801.

The Wesleyan Chapel is a substantial structure of brick, erected on the site of the old one in 1878. The total cost was about £300, which was raised by subscription. It will seat 200. The Primitive Methodists have also a place of worship here. The School, which was rebuilt in 1862, is under the management of a School Board, formed in 1876, for the united district of Holmpton and Out-Newton, who pay a yearly rental of £15 to the trustees for the use of the premises. There is accommodation for 80 children, and an average attendance of 32.

This parish is gradually diminishing in extent, from the encroachments of the German Ocean. In 1786, the distance between Holmpton Church and the edge of the cliff was 1,200 yards, and in 1833 the distance was 1,130 yards - a loss of 70 yards in 47 years.

RYSOME GARTH, in this parish, is an ancient manor and estate, containing 543 acres, formerly in the possession of the family of Bysom, but how or when it passed from them is not known. It belonged to the Sherwoods for about a century, and was purchased from them by Joseph Sykes, Esq., the present owner. The estate is free from tithe and land tax. It is ecclesiastically in the parish of Hollym, but for all civil purposes it is in that of Holmpton. Many spear-heads have, from time to time, been turned up here by the plough, and in 1889 two cannon balls were disinterred. It is conjectured that some unrecorded military engagement has taken place here. The following "Lines on two ancient Cannon Balls, disinterred at Rysome Garth, November, 1889," were written by the owner.


"Emblems of war yet vainly do we seek
The date when hostile armies here have met;
No records of the bold encounter speak;
That sun of bygone days 'mid clouds hath set.
Was it when claimants for Britannia's crown,
Each with a rose as emblem of his line,
With varying fortune gained or lost renown,
In valiant deeds that still through history shine? -
Or when a party, with increasing might,
Contended to the death in Freedom's cause,
When all illumined seemed by holier light,
And patriots hailed of faith the purer laws?
Little it matters when the strife had place
Here were entombed those relics of its course;
Year followed year through ever-lengthening space,
As industry replaced the reign of force.
Wars ceased to rage; in earth's all-sheltering breast
Long time they lay beneath the fertile soil;
Seasons rolled on at Nature's high behest,
Whilst patient labour reaped the fruits of toil.
Combat and carnage, from the early dawn
Of history's records, seemed the lot of man
But Progress saw a healthier feeling born,
As industry filled up life's busy plan.
Never again may war on our fair land -
Invading army, or domestic strife -
The signal give for hostile ranks to stand
With triumphs bought by many a precious life."

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]

Directories

  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.