Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HORNSEA. Church dedication: SAINT NICHOLAS. Church type: Vicarage in charge.
Area, 3,160 acres. Holderness wapentake, N.D. -Population, 780 *1; Church-room, 650; Net value, £382. -The heirs of Gilbert de Mapleton held in Hornsea and Burton five carucates of land.
In Hornsea, at the time of Domesday Survey, there was a Church, and also a priest.
The Church and manor were given by Odo; Earl of Champaigne, to the Abbey of St. Mary's, York, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 9th October 1423. At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown.
Impropriator, the Rev. C. Constable.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £38. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books the Vicarage is valued at £13. 3s. 2d. per annum ; Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.; ditto for Riston, 1s., and Sacrist of Beverley, £3. 6s. 8d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 291, it is stated : " No constant preacher. Vicarage, £15."
" Hornsey Vicarage is endowed with two oxgangs of glebe, about £5 a year, and small tithes, about £4 a year. Riston is about five miles off. The Rectory of Riston is worth about £80 a year. The union took place about 350 years ago, by the Archbishop." Signed, " W. Lambert, Vic. of Hornsey cum Riston." -Notitia Parochialis, No.1016.
An Inclosure Act was passed 41st Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
There is a charge of £100 on the Living, the cessation of which is uncertain.
The Register books commence in 1654. The whole of the entries irregularly scattered through all the volumes.
William Day's rent charge, by will, dated 14th May 1616. 40s. per annum to the poor at Christmas and Easter, at the discretion of the minister and churchwardens.
Peter Acklam's rent charge, by will, dated 4th October 1758. 20s. per annum for the buying of stuff for gowns, every Lady-day, for three poor widows, selected by the overseers of the poor as the properest objects of charity.
Smithson's rent charge, by will, before £173. 9s. per annum for bread, for the most deserving poor of the parish who attend at Church on Christmas, Easter, and Whitsuntide.
Town Stock. The sum of £70, formerly vested in the overseers of the poor under this name, but by what means acquired was at the time of the Report unknown, was employed towards building four cottages for the use of the parish on the Church land (after-mentioned) ; and interest upon the money thus expended is allowed out of the rents, and distributed at the time, manner, and with Day's rent charge, mentioned above.
Mrs. Mary Young's charity. This lady was the widow of a Rector of Catwick. Rent of garden, let, at the time of the Report, for 16s. per annum, and one house (occupied by a poor person rent-free). The rent to be received by the Vicar of Catwick, and applied by him in repairing the house, and the surplus, if any, to be applied in purchasing coals for the occupier thereof ; but the Commissioners say that it is not more than sufficient for repairs.
Church Estate. This property consists of 70a. 3r. 12p. of land and six houses. The rents of the estate, amounting to £110. 18s. per annum, are paid to the churchwardens, and, after deducting the interest due on £300, borrowed on a mortgage of the premises, to defray the expenses of inclosing the land, and £3. 10s., interest on the town stock, are applied in the repairs of the Church, and in the ordinary disbursements of the office of churchwardens. There was a balance in hand (April 1822) of £121. 16s. 1d., which was placed out at interest. -Vide 9th Report, page 763.
Post town: Beverley.
Torre's MS., page 1439. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 176. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Hornesse), page 176; (Burtune), 176. Mon. Angl., vol. iii. page 571.
*1 Viz. Hornsea with Burton. Upwards of 100 persons have lately emigrated to America, notwithstanding which the population is the same. -In 1834, the population was returned-Hornsea with Riston, 780 and 430.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.