Transcript of the entry of 'professions and trades' for HORNSEA in Pigot's Directory of 1829.
- Letters are forwarded to Leven by a postman every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, at eight in the morning, and arrive therefrom on those days at one in the afternoon; on Saturday they are despatched by a carrier.
Gentry & Clergy,
- Bedell Benjamin, gent.
- Constable Rev. Charles, Wassand
- Cozy Rev. Charles, Newbegin
- Day Mrs. Rebecca
- Gibson Mrs.
- Green George, esq.
- Hudson John, gent.
- Marshall Richard, gent.
- Runton John, gent.
- Smith Mrs. Dorothy
- Sykes Rev. James
- Brown George
- Witty Joseph
- Ballantine James
- Denton Samuel
- Harrison Charles
Hotels & Taverns,
- Hare & Hounds, Martin Straker
- New Hotel (& excise office) William, Tate
- Old Hotel, John Heslop
- Prince of Wales, William Amers
Shopkeepers, Traders, &c,
- Acklam Thomas, boot & shoe maker
- Bennett John, butcher
- Bulson Jonathan, butcher & tallow chandler
- Byes Robert, rope & twine maker
- Carr John, haberdasher & toy dealer
- Clark James, shopkeeper
- Cooper Richard, grocer, draper and miller
- Dawson John, wheelwright and joiner
- Foster Ralph, butcher
- Grantham Richard, bricklayer
- Grantham William, boot & shoe maker & parish clerk
- Grantham William, joiner & wheelwright
- Greensides William, boot & shoe mkr
- Henderson William, grocer and draper
- Hillerby John, grocer & draper
- Hornby Francis, grocer
- Leeson William, baker, grocer and gardener
- Linskin Stephen, butcher
- Lounsbrough William, draper & hosier
- Marsh Thomas, saddler
- Milner Nicholson, painter & glazier
- Milnes William, painter
- Pool John, tailor
- Russell John, bricklayer
- Russell William, bricklayer
- Smith Thomas, blacksmith
- Southwick, joiner & wheelwright
- Southwick Matthew, tailor & draper
- Stephenson Paul, boot & shoe makr
- Stork William, shopkeeper
- Taylor William, bricklayer
- Wadforth John, blacksmith
- Welborn Robert, boot & shoe maker
- Wells William, gardener
- West Benjamin, hair dresser
- Woodhouse William, shopkeeper
- To Beverley, William Wilson & David Robinson, eve Saturday.
- To Bridlington, William Stockdale, every Saturday.
- To Hull, William Wilson & David Robinson, every Tuesday and Friday.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson. ©2003