Hide

HORNSEA: Hornsea Skipsea Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

HORNSEA & SKIPSEA.*
(CONGREGATIONAL.)

A chapel was built in Hornsea in the year 1808. It will seat between 300 and 400. The debt was wiped out in 1860; land was purchased in the last year (1866) for a new church and a manse. The latter is already erected.

The ministers have been-

  • 1802. Rev. HENRY EARLE. He left Hornsea in 1816.
  • 1818. Rev. JAMES SYKES (Rotherham Acy.). He resigned in 1845.
  • 1845. Rev. THOMAS POOLE (Cotton End Acy.). He was ordained in 1846. He is the present minister (in 1868).
  • Skipsea is associated with Hornsea under one pastorate. A chapel, which will seat about 130, was built here in 1801. Land has been recently purchased for the enlargement or re-erection of the chapel.

NOTES:-
* Communicated by Rev. T. Poole.


Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.