Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: HOTHAM. Church dedication: ST. OSWALD. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 2,530 acres. Harthill wapentake. Hunsley Beacon. - Population, 286; Church-room, 135 *1; Net value, £328.
In the town of Hotham werefour carucates of land, held of the fee of Stutevill, whereof the Abbot of Meaux held five oxgangs.
Also the Lords Manley held therein three carucates and five oxgangs, whereof St. John of Beverley held one carucate and one oxgang.
And the Prior of Watton half an oxgang.
And the Templars one oxgang.
And the Lords Manley the residue. The patronage was anciently in the Hothams, knights, afterwards it came to the Beauchamps, Earls of Warwick, and from them to Richard III., then Duke of Gloucester, and by him to the Crown.
The Church is endowed with half a carucate of land.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £13. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books at £10. 0s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. p. 356, at £65. 6s. 8d. per annum.
An Inclosure Act was passed 8th Geo. III.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, on account of "its inferior size;" and in 1834, it was returned " unfit."
The Register Books for baptisms commence in 1706 ; for burials in 1709; and for marriages in 1711.
Anthony Rotherham's charity, by will. rent charge of 40s. per annum, for the poor. -Vide 11 th Report, page 732.
Post town: South Cave.
Torre's MS., page 1109. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 35. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Hode, Holde, Hodhum), pages 12. 29. 61. 77. 78. 155. 233.
*1 Estimated in 1818 at 160.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.