HOTHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HOTHAM, a parish in the Hunsley Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of South Cave, and 5½ S.E. of Market Weighton. The village, which is small, is situated on the Roman road Ermine Street. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The land is principally arable, and the soil various. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £44. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £328, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. Tho church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is an ancient structure, with a tower. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is an infant school supported by voluntary contributions. Henry Burton, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013