HOTHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (Hunsley Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Howden - Rural Deanery Howden - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish lies near the foot of the Wolds, and presents an undulating surface of varied scenery. The total area, according to the Ordnance Survey, is 2,808 acres, the rateable value is £2,562, and the population in 1891 was 332. Colonel Edward John Stracey-Clitherow, J.P., of Hotham Hall, North Cave, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil varies from light sand to stiff clay and limestone. Turnips, potatoes, carrots, barley, seeds, and wheat are grown.
The village is pleasantly situated two miles north of North Cave station, o the Hull, Barnsley, and West Riding Junction railway, and five-and-a-half mile south-by-east from Market Weighton. The church of St. Oswald is an ancien building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, north chapel, and massive western tower containing two bells. The lower part of the tower is Norman, and has a belt of zigzag ornament. The north chapel is a private pew raised several feet above the floor, and approached from the outside by a staircase. The church was restored in 1755, and the south porch was built and new windows inserted in the south wall about 20 years ago. There are no monuments of sufficient interest to demand notice. The living is a rectory, valued in the Liber Regis at £10 0s. 7½d., now worth £278 net, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. William Cole, M.A., of Merton College, Oxford, since 1873. The tithe rent-charge is £45, and there are 402 acres of glebe.
There is a small school in the village attended by about 30 children. The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1869.
Hotham House is the property and residence of Walter Francis Wrangham, Esq., J.P. It was erected in 1740, and is now encased in cement and pebble-dash. Surrounding are neatly laid-out grounds. The Manor House is in the occupation of Mr. John Stather Petch, farmer.
There are charities amounting to £14 yearly left by various donors.
Hotham Carr is a low flat tract of ground, formerly marsh, lying on the western border of the parish, adjoining Walling Fen.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.