[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HOWDEN, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 9 miles from Snaith, 10 from Selby, and 21 from, York. The population amounts to 2080. Here is a very good market on Saturday. This town is of considerable antiquity, but it contains nothing remarkable except its church, formerly collegiate, and the remains of the ancient palace of the bishops of Durham." (There is further information for Howden).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Peter's Church, Howden (Howden Minster). (The Church's website is here.)
- Another view of St. Peter's Church.
- The Methodist Church, Howden.
- The Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Howden. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Helen's Church, Barmby on the Marsh.
- St. Peter's Church, Laxton.
- The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Laxton.
- The former Methodist Chapel, Kilpin.
- Transcript of the entry for Howden in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry for Asselby in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry for Barmby on the Marsh in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry for Laxton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- A transcript of Howden Congregational Church History
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Howden to another place.
- In 1858, the chapelry of Barmby on the Marsh (in this parish) became a parish in its own right. See Barmby on the Marsh Parish.
- Also in 1858 the townships of Laxton, Cotness, Metham, Saltmarshe, and Yokefleet, all previously in this parish were separated to form the Parish of Laxton.
- In 1882 a civil parish was formed from detached parts of various townships in this parish. See Bishopsoil Parish
- Susan Butler's Howden web-site has a brief history of Howden, along with Directory and Census transcriptions.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE748283 (Lat/Lon: 53.745718, -0.86727), Howden which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish