Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ASSELBY.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Howdenshire wapentake. -Population, 297,vide Howden ; Chapel-room, no return; Net value, no return. -In Asselby, the Bishop of Durham held, at the time of the Domesday Survey, one carucate of land, and the Soke of four carucates belonged to the manor of Howden.

Torchil held a manor of one carucate of Earl Moreton. Nigel had there one vassal, with two oxen, and fisheries yielding 2,400 eels.

Asselby contains six acres of land of the fee of the Bishop of Durham. The tithes thereof belonged to the Prebend of Barmby, within the Collegiate Church of Howden.

Patron, the Vicar of Howden.

Torre gives no information as to the Chapel.

No return as to glebe house.

Register Books, vide Howden.

Charities:
Poor's Land, donor unknown. Rent of 5A. 1r. of land, and two and a half marsh-gates, to the use of the poor, after deducting £1. 1s. -There is also one house occupied by poor people rent free. -Vide 11th Report, page 763.

Post town: Howden.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1211. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Aschilebi), pages 61, 62. 79.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.