[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HUGGATE, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; 7½ miles NE. of Pocklington. The church (see Churches for photograph) is a rectory, dedicated to St. Mary, of which the King is the patron, is well built, with a good spire; there is also a Methodist chapel. There is in this village a well, 116 yards deep, which supplies the inhabitants of this village with water. Here are races held in the latter end of July. Population, 413."
"HUGGATE WOLD HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Huggate; 1½ miles NW. of Huggate, 7 miles from Pocklington."
"PAINSLACK, 2 farm houses in the township and parish of Huggate; 1¾ miles NE. of Huggate, 7 miles from Driffield, 9 from Pocklington."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 200 gravestones and plaques at Huggate with linked surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Huggate in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Huggate to another place.
- The Jury document for the Manor of Huggate in St. Mary's Church, Huggate.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE883554 (Lat/Lon: 53.987114, -0.654834), Huggate which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish