Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HUTTON CRANSWICK.     Church dedication: SAINT PETER.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 6,230 acres. Harthill wapentake. Bainton Beacon. Population, 1,118 *1; Church-room, 600; Net value, £130. -Peter de Mauley held in this town seven carucates of land, at the rent of 5s. per annum.

Cranswick contained two carucates of land of the fee of Brus, whereof the Prior of Gisburne held thirteen oxgangs in frankalmoigne.

And John de Diton held three oxgangs of the Knights Hospitallers, and they of Brus.

The Church was given by Joan, wife of Gilbert Gertrude, to the Priory of Watton, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 18th Kal., December 1302.

The Rectory seems to have passed from the Crown, about the latter end of Queen Elizabeth's reign, to the Cromptons and Morehouses, and since the Restoration the Hothams have presented.

Present patron and impropriator, Lord Hotham.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £40; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £15. 8s. 64d.; in the Parliamentary' Survey, vol.. xvii. page 321, it is stated : " Impropriation, £250. 15s. 4d.; no minister, nor will the means maintain one ;" -and in 1818, at £53. 1s. per annum.

Augmented in 1820, with £800 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot ; and in 1821, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefactions of £100 from the Rev. J. Rigby, the Vicar, and £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees.

" There belong to the Vicarage the house, with three acres of grass land and free common, and three acres of arable land, worth 40s. yearly. No tithe is paid, but a stipend of £16 by Sir Charles Hotham, and I think Crisams at Rotsea. Sir Charles Hotham has the Mortuaries and Crisams at Hutton Cranswick and Fetherholm, and Mr. Crumpton those at Sunderlandwick." Not signed. -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1049.

Inclosure Acts were passed 26th Geo. II. and 9th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence. There is a mortgage of £61, the cessation of which is uncertain.

The Register Books commence in 1653.

Charities:
Walter Crompton's charity, by will, dated in 1713. rent charge of 20s. per annum to poor widows and other indigent persons, and 20s. per annum to the poor widows of Sunderlandwick township.

Barker's charity, vide Mason's and Barker's Charities, Brandsburton. rent charge of 50s. per annum for apprenticing poor children of Hutton Cranswick.

Thomas Awbrough's rent charge, by will, dated in 1716. 20s. per annum to the minister for preaching a sermon on the 3rd April; 15s. per annum to the poor ; and 15s. to the master of the National School for teaching three poor children free of expense. - Vide 9th Report, page 747.

Post town: Driffield.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1307. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 73. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Hottune), pages 13. 81. 202; (Cransuuic), 13. 81. 202 ; (Sundrelanuuic), 29. 218. Burton's Monasticon, page 386.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Hutton Cranswick, 1,053; Rotsea, 30; and Sunderlandwick, 35.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.