Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Ouse and Derwent - County Council Electoral Division of Heslington - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Pocklington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish, containing 1,751 acres of land, was formerly a township in the parish of Catton, on the opposite bank of the Derwent, from which it was severed by an Order in Council, February 11th, 1853. The soil is clay, loam, and sand; and the chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, and various kinds of green crops. Lord Wenlock is lord of the manor and sole owner of the land, with the exception of the glebe. The rateable value is £1,600, and the number of inhabitants 136.
The manor of Kexby anciently belonged to the Percys, of whom it was held by the family of Burden. It passed thence to Sir Thomas Ughtred, who was lord of Kexby, and dying in 1401, was buried in the church of Catton. Sir Henry Ughtred, Knt., of Kexby, who died in 1519, was buried in the church of the Friars' Minors, York.
The village, which is small, stands on the banks of the Derwent, five-and-a-half miles east of York. The road from York to Market Weighton and Hull passes through the village, and crosses the river by a stone bridge of three arches, built in 1650, by Sir Roger Jaques Tresuer, and partially rebuilt in 1778. The church (St. Paul) is a stone edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and western tower and spire, containing one bell. It was built by Lord Wenlock in 1852, and the following year it was made parochial, with a district embracing the whole township. The east window is filled with stained glass. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of Lord Wenlock, of the yearly value of £135, derived from Queen Anne's Bounty and 39 acres of glebe, and held by the Rev. Charles Oldham Yeo, M.A., LL.B., Dublin. The Vicarage house is a commodious residence, erected in 1853, and standing in its own grounds near the church.
The National school was built a few years after the church for the accommodation of 60 children, and is attended by 27. It is under a mistress, and is supported by Lord Wenlock.
Midway between Kexby and Elvington is Kexby Hall, now a farmhouse, rebuilt about 47 years ago. The remains of the moat may still be seen.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.