Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: KEYINGHAM. Church dedication: ST. NICHOLAS. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.*2.
Area, 3,210 acres. Holderness wapentake, S.D. -Population, 636 *3; Church-room, 300 *4 ; Net value, £92. At the time of the Domesday Survey there was a Church at Kayingham with a priest, also thirty villanes having three ploughs.
This Church was given by Stephen, Earl of Albemarle, to the Abbey of Albemarle, and afterwards by King Edward I. to the Abbey of Meaux, in part of recompence for the Manors of Myton and town of Kingston-upon-Hull, which that Monastery granted to the crown. In 1349 it was appropriated to the Abbey of Meaux, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 13th June in that year.
This is one of the advowsons given by King Henry VIII. to the See of York in exchange, and the Archbishop is now the patron and impropriator.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £18; in the King's books (where it is called a Discharged Vicarage), at £12. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 7. 10. 270, it is stated : " The Rectory was valued at £198. 1s. 2d. per annum." The Rectory belongs to the Archbishop. " £12 paid to the Vicar out of tithes worth £200;" and in 1818, at £42 per annum.
Archbishop Sterne made an augmentation to the living of £8 per annum.
Augmented in 1795 with £200; in 1811, with £200; in 1812, with £200; and in 1821, with £1,200 from the Parliamentary grant -all by lot ; and in 1831, with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from the Archbishop of York.
" The tithes are impropriated to the Archbishop of York, viz. corn, hay, wool, and lamb, with other privy tithes, to the value of £140 per annum. Yearly value of the Vicarage, £20. An augmentation of £8 per annum by Archbishop Sterne." Signed " Robt. Jellison, Curate." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1,043.
There was an unreported decree as to tithes, in the Exchequer in Easter Term, 31st Car. II.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1618 ; but imperfect for 1767. -Vide Transcripts at York.
Edward Ombler, Esq.'s charity, by will, in 1802. Dividends on £200 invested in the funds, but the amount of stock and dividends are not stated, for the education of nine or ten children of the parish.
Edward Marritt's gift, by will, dated 27th April 1807, and proved at York in May 1811. Dividends on £255. 4s. new four per cents., expectant on the death of an annuitant, Charlotte Say, spinster, who at the time of the report was still living ; from and after her death to the use of Kayingham school, at the discretion of his heirs, to be applied as they should think most to the benefit of the school. -Vide 10th Report, page 663.
Post town: Hedon.
Torre's MS., page 1599. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 153. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Chaingeham), pages 178. 243. Mon. Angl. vol. v. pages 389. 396. 398. Burton's Monasticon, page 298.
*1 Or St. Michael.
*2 Now held as a Perpetual Curacy. There had been no institution in Archbishop Sharp's time for one hundred years back.
*3 In 1834, the population was returned at 639.
*4 In 1818, the Church accommodation was returned as " more than 532."
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.