Hide

KEYINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"KEYINGHAM, a parish in the southern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.S.E. from Hedon, containing 639 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books. at £12, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. In 1802, Edward Ombler, Esq. bequeathed £200, directing the interest to be appropriated to the education of children; and in 1807, Edward Marriott bequeathed the residue of his estate, amounting to £255 four per cents, for a similar purpose."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]