KILHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"KILHAM, is a parish-town and village, partly within the liberty of St. Peter, at York, and partly in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding, about 5.5 miles n.e. from Great Driffield, and 8 w. by s. from Bridlington; pleasantly situated on a declivity of the Wolds, & consists of one irregular street, extending nearly one mile and a quarter from east to west. A branch of the river Hull has its source in the parish; and at Hempit Hole, a little n.w. of the village, on the road to Langtoft, is a remarkable intermittent spring, called 'the Gipsey', issuing with such violence from the earth, as to form an arch sufficiently elevated for a man on horseback to pass beneath it. Near the Rudston road is a fine mineral spring, possessing medicinal properties: and in the neighbourhood are several tumuli, supposed to be of Danish construction; and many relics, interesting to the antiquary, have been discovered at different times, some of which are in the possession of Mr. John Stephenson, the talented master of the grammar school here. This school was originally founded by John, Lord D'Arcy, in the 9th of Charles 1st, who endowed it with a rent charge of £30. ; it is now chiefly supported by voluntary contributions; about one hundred pupils are generally on the establishment. The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is a large and ancient edifice: the living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean of York: the Rev. Saml. Downes, M.A. is the present incumbent. Kilham had formerly a market, which, from the vicinity, and greater convenience of that at Driffield, had long been declining, and is now entirely discontinued. The fairs are held on the 21st of August, and 12th of November. The parish contained, at the last census, 1,042 inhabitants.
Please see Great Driffield Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this township."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]