Hide

KILHAM: Kilham Baptist Church History up to 1912.

hide
Hide
Hide

KILHAM BAPTIST CHURCH

The Kilham Church is one of Bridlington's many children. It was founded in 1821, having a membership numbering ten, and John Rouse as pastor. The meeting-house was erected in 1819, and had cost £450. He remained for three years, and was followed by Rev. D. Taylor for a similar period. Rev. J. Hithersay became pastor in 1829, and gave place to Rev. W. Hardwick, in 1842. Rev. Benjamin Shakespeare settled at Kilham in 1854, removing to Malton in 1857. At Kilham he married the daughter of Rev. John Hithersay. Mr. Harrison Oxley was invited to the pastorate in the following year, remaining until his sudden death in 1888. Since this period the Church has gradually declined, the present membership numbering only six. In 1908, Rev. W. Slater, of Bridlington, undertook to tend the feeble cause, and a much-needed renovation of the premises has been successfully undertaken.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley