Kilnwick On The Wolds
The Ancient Parish of KILNWICK ON THE WOLDS
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KILNWICK ON THE WOLDS, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; (the seat of Charles Grimston, Esq.) 7 miles SSW. of Driffield. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to All-Saints, incumbent the Rev. Francis Lundy; curate, the Rev. Wm. Legard; patron, Charles Grimston, Esq. Population, 230."
"BESWICK, (or Beswicke), in the parish of Kilnwick on the Wolds, and wapentake of Harthill; 1¼ miles SE. of Kilnwick on the Wolds, 6½ miles N. of Beverley. Here is a chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph), the Rev. Joseph Rigby, perpetual curate, and J. Dennison, Esq. patron. Pop. 192."
"BRACKEN, a township, in the parish of Kilnwick on the Wolds, and wapentake of Harthill; 1 mile WNW. of Kilnwick on the Wolds, 7½ miles SSW. of Driffield. This township formerly contained a considerable village and a chapelry, but now consists of only one large farm. The burial ground still remains undisturbed. Population, 30."
"WILFEHOLME, in the parish of Kilnwick on the Wolds, and township of Beswick, and wapentake of Harthill; 3¼ miles ESE. of Kilnwick on the Wolds, 9 miles S. of Driffield. Formerly a Common, now inclosed on the banks of the River Hull, from which river there is a Landing Place and an Inn, for the convenience of the neighbouring townships."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Kilnwick on the Wolds (view 1).
- All Saints' Church, Kilnwick on the Wolds (view 2).
- St. Margaret's Church, Beswick.
- The former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Beswick, built 1888, now a dwelling.
- The Banns for Beswick Chapelry, 1852 to 2007
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Chapelry of Beswick.
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kilnwick on the Wolds.
- The parish registers from 1573 to 1837 for Baptisms and Marriages have been transcribed by "Denis". This data was originally placed on the web by Paul Benyon, and Paul has asked that the pages be hosted by Genuki so that they don't "keep moving around".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilnwick On The Wolds to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE997495 (Lat/Lon: 53.932034, -0.482963), Kilnwick On The Wolds which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish