Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BESWICK. Church dedication: CHAPEL.
Harthill wapentake. Bainton Beacon. -Population, 205, vide Kilnwick juxta Watton *1; Church-room, 250; Net value, £65. -Beswick contained three carucates of land, held of the fee of Mauley, two whereof Galfred Ageleim held of him, and the other he held of Robert de Wieverthorpe, and he of Mauley ; afterwards it was the inheritance and seat of the family of the Danyells, knights.
The Rectory of this Church is part of the endowment of Archbishop Holgate's School *2. The minister has all the small tithes, hay, lamb, and wool, and the surplice fees. The inhabitants contribute one-third part to the repairs of Kilnwick juxta Watton Church.
Patron, the Master of Archbishop Holgate's School, or his lessee. Now in dispute. -Vide Return under the Ecclesiastical Commission.
In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 330-340, it is stated : " Vicar, £16; Impropriation, £70. Two oxgangs of glebe. To be made a parish."
Augmented in 1824, with £600; and in 1825, with £200 -both by lot.
The glebe house is unfit for residence.
The Register Books for baptisms and marriages commence in 1657. Burials take place at Kilnwick.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Beverley.
Torre's MS., page 1278. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 67. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Basewic), pages 13. 80; (Chilewid), 80. 233; (Locheton), 56. 80.
*1 Returned at 201 in 1834.
*2 And so stated in the Parliamentary Survey.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.