Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KILNWICK ON THE WOLDS.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, more than 3,990 acres. Harthill wapentake. Bainton Beacon. - Population, 581 *1 ; Church-room, 100 *2; Net value, £101. -The town of Kildwick contained three carucates of land, and was held of the fee of Manley, whereof five carucates and five oxgangs were held in frankalmoigne by the Prior of Watton, and the residue were held by Walter Engaine.

The Church was appropriated to the Priory of Watton, but no Vicarage was ever ordained therein. Archbishop Sharp, however, calls this a Vicarage. The Denisons were patrons till 1798.

Patron and impropriator, C. Grimston, Esq.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £8; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 328, it is stated : " Impropriation, £100. About twenty houses in Lockington are in this parish. To be annexed to Lockington ;" -and in 1818, the Curacy was valued at £100 per annum.

Augmented in 1714, with £200; in 1767, with £200; and in 1785, with £200 -all by lot.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " a small cottage ;" and returned " unfit," in 1834.

The legible Register Books commence in 1575. There is an earlier book, which is returned as illegible.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Driffield.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1275. Abp: Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 67. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Chileuuid), pages 81. 223.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Beswick, 205; Brackin, 28; Kilnwick, 217; and part of Lockington, 131. The entire area of Lockington is ascribed to this parish. -The Population in 1834 was returned at 337.

*2 In 1818, the return was 150.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.