Hide

KILNWICK ON THE WOLDS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"KILNWICK ON THE WOLDS, a parish in the Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising -the chapelry of Beswick, and the townships of Bracken, Kilnwick, and a portion, of Locldngton, and containing 676 inhabitants, of which number, 230 are in the township of Kilnwick, 7 miles S.S.W. from Great Driffield. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York. Charles Grimston, Esq. was patron in 1817 The church is dedicated to All Saints."


"BESWICK, a chapelry in the parish of KILNWICK ON THE WOLDS, Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Beverley, containing 193 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of J. Denison, Esq."


"BRACKEN, in the parish of Kilnwick on the Wolds, is a township in the Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 6% miles S.S.W. from Great Driffield, containing 30 inhabitants. This was formerly a populous village, and contained a chapel, the cemetery belonging to which remains undisturbed."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]