KILNWICK ON THE WOLDS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"KILNWICK ON THE WOLDS, a parish, and township in the Bainton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Lockington, and 7 S. of Driffield, its post town. It is situated at the foot of the Wolds, on the road from Driffield to Beverley, and contains the townships of Beswick and Lockington. The land is chiefly arable and the soil clayey, with peat and limestone in parts. The tithes were commuted for 63 acres of land at the enclosure of the parish, in 1786. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £101. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone building with a Norman doorway on the S. side, and a square tower. There is a National school for children of both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Kilnwick Hall, the seat of C. Grimston, Esq., who is lord of the manor, is the principal residence."
"BESWICK, a chapelry in the parish of Kilnwick-on-the-Wolds, in the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N. of Beverley, its post town. It includes the hamlet of Wilfholme. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, of the value of £65, in the patronage of the master of Archbishop Holgate's grammar school."
"BRACKEN, a township in the parish of Kilnwick-on-the-Wolds, wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S.W. of Great Driffield. It is situated on the Wolds, and had formerly a chapel, the graveyard of which still remains."
"WILFHOLME, a hamlet in the chapelry of Beswick, and parish of Kilnwick-on-the-Wolds, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Beverley."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013