KILNWICK ON THE WOLDS: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (Bainton Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Etton - Petty Sessional Division of North Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Beverley - Rural Deanery of Harthill - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish comprises the townships of Kilnwick and Bracken, and part of the township of Lockington. The former contains 1,698 acres, situated at the foot of the Wolds. The soil is clay and peat, the subsoil gravel, clay, and chalk; and the chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley. For rating purposes the township is valued at £1,851, and the population in 1891 was 239. Lady Du Cane, whose first husband was the late Marmaduke Jerrard Grimston, Esq., is lady of the manor and owner of all the land, except the glebe farm and 44 acres belonging to Colonel Grimston. Chalk stone is quarried for building and agricultural purposes.
The village is small, and stands about six-and-a-half miles south of Driffield and three miles north-west from Lockington station, on the Hull and Bridlington branch of the North-Eastern Railway. The church of All Saints is an ancient edifice, restored at various times and in different styles of architecture. It consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, north porch, and western tower containing three bells. The tower, rebuilt of brick about the end of the 17th century, is mantled with ivy. The chancel and nave were restored in 1871. The east window is a memorial of the late Henry Grimston, Esq., and there are several tablets on the walls to members of the same family. An arcade of four arches divides the nave from the aisle, and within the porch of the latter is a Norman doorway, ornamented with beak-head moulding. The font, circular and ancient, stands on a modern octagonal base. The church is fitted with open benches to seat 250. The registers date from 1563. The living is a vicarage, united with Lund, in the gift of the Rev. Alexander Grimston, M.A., and held by the Rev. C. Sundius Sundius, M.A., who resides at Lund. The joint net yearly value is £280, with residence, including 321 acres of glebe.
The Primitive Methodists use the old school-house to hold their services in. The present school premises were erected in 1874, for the accommodation of 60 children. About 25 attend on an average.
Near the village is Kilnwick Hall, the property of Lady Du Cane, and residence of A. C. Spence, Esq. It is a handsome mansion in the Elizabethan style of architecture, standing in a park of about 40 acres.
BRACKEN township contains 667 acres (in one farm), belonging to Major Walter J. Grimston, who is also lord of the manor. It is rated at £800, and had in 1891 only 25 inhabitants. It lies about one mile west of Kilnwick, and is said to have once had its village, with a chapel and burial ground.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.