KILNWICK PERCY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"KILNWICK PERCY, a parish in the Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 1½ mile N.E. of Pocklington, its post town and nearest railway station, and 14½ miles from York. The surface is undulating and the scenery varied, with some fine plantations. The land is chiefly arable and pasture, with about 180 acres of woodland and 20 of water. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £160, and the vicarial for £117 8s. 6d. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of. York, value £180, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is a small edifice with a belfry containing one bell. In the interior are stained-glass windows, monumental slabs, and an ancient brass. The Hall, the seat of the Hon. A. Duncombe, M.P., lord of the manor, is a stone building surrounded by shrubberies."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013