Kilnwick Percy parish:
Kilnwick Percy, History transcription:The St. Helen's Church, Kilnwick Percy History.
ST HELEN'S CHURCH, KILNWICK PERCY
The church was rebuilt in 1865, the Architect being J B and William Atkinson of York.
Parts of the earlier Church are incorporated in the structure. The present Church is an interesting example
of a 19th Century Norman building of which there are a number in the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire.
(See Yorkshire Architectural Society Report 1864, page 96; and The Journal of the Yorkshire Archaeological
Society, Vol XVI, pages 283,284).
Many of the corbel heads beneath on the North Porch are of the 11th Century date.
Many of the stones in the outer door to the North Porch are of the 11th Century date.
The design of the North Porch and the Little Porch on the north wall of the Chancel are of interest.
There are two very nice early 18th Century stone gate posts in the boundary fence on the north side of the churchyard.
NAVE - on the west side of the north door is the brass of Thomas Wood, 1584, the crest of which is nicely engraved.
A 19th Century font following a perpendicular design.
The front kneeler of the pews is of softwood upon which are mounted interesting 17th Century carvings (probably Flemish).
The pews of 19th century date, pitch pine and of no particular importance.
Standing in front of the Priest's Stall is a large elbow chair (not an original).
Priest's Stall. This is of softwood on which are mounted excellent 17th Century carvings (probably Flemish).
West Wall - there are two stained glass windows, probably about 1850. (of fair interest).
The lower part of the pulpit is in softwood. The upper part is of oak and contains an excellent series of carvings of 17th Century date (probably Flemish).
The Choir Stalls are of softwood upon which are mounted an excellent series of late 17th Century carvings (probably Flemish). A number of decorative pieces are in cast iron using original wooden pieces for moulds probably carried out in 19th Century when the church was rebuilt.
The alter rails are of softwood, but the supporting posts are late 17th Century work (probably Flemish). Two figures in cast iron.
The alter table is of 17th Century date.
The cross and candlesticks are of 19th Century date and are pleasant, the cross in particular being of excellent outline.
Two English late 17th Century chairs.
A small table, mid-18th Century.
The stained glass in the three 19th Century windows in the east wall and in the round window in the gable of this wall
is of 20th Century date and very satisfactory.
Interesting wall brass with inlaid black, red and silver enamels to Admiral Arthur Buchan, 1889.
The other mural brasses on the north and south walls are of little aesthetic interest.
Late 17th Century chest with carved font.
Early 19th Century York type safe built into the south wall.
Pleasant 18th Century marble mural monuments from the previous church built into the upper part of the south wall.
Data transcribed by
from photography by Colin Hinson