Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KIRBY GRINDALYTHE.     Church dedication: ST. ANDREW.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 7,970 acres. Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 414 *2 ; Church-room, 144 *3 ; Net value, no return. -This Church was given to the Priory of Kirkham by Walter Espec, to which it was appropriated, and. a Vicarage ordained therein. No endowment is noticed by Torre : the first Vicar named in his catalogue was instituted in 1305. In 1617, the Toweys became entitled to the presentation ; in 1722, it passed to the Osbaldeston family; and in 1772, it came to the Lillingstons, who presented in 1753, 1772, 1781, and 1789.

Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart. is the present patron.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £53. 6s. 8d., new taxation £26. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books the Vicarage is valued at £8. 9s. 6d.; Synodals 4s.; Procurations 6s. 6d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 420, at £25; and in 1818, at £80 per annum.

14th July 1718, a faculty was granted to repair and cover the remains of the steeple, (part having been blown down, and it being judged unsafe to rebuild it as high as formerly,) and to repair the body of the Church.

3rd July 1826, faculty to re-roof the Church, and cover it with black Lancashire slate instead of lead, and to re-pew the Church, and make other alterations therein.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, having " only an earthen floor, in which a cottager has a bed, and goes up a ladder into a dark place, where the children sleep." No return in 1834.

The Register Books commence in 1722. The marriage registers since 1754, were returned in 1831 as lost. Transcripts are lodged in the Archbishop's Registry at York.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Sledmere.


References:
Torre's MS. page 777. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. ii. page 123. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Cerchebi, Dighelibi, Turgilibi), pages 12. 32, 33. 48. 84. 123. 186. 224. Moo. Angl. vol. vi. pages 207. 210. Burton's Monast. page 375. Wood's Tithe Cases, vol. i. page 14, Towers v. Pearson.


Notes:
*1 Or Crendale.

*2 Viz. Duggleby, 186; Kirkby Grindalythe, 184 ; and Thirkleby, 44.

*3 According to the return of 1818. No return in 1834.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.