KIRBY GRINDALYTHE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"KIRBY GRINDALYTHE, a parish in the wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Duggleby, Kirby-Grindalyth, and Thirkleby, and containing 376 inhabitants, of which number, 178 are in the township of Kirby-Grindalyth, 9 miles E.S.E. from New Malton. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £8. 9. 7. Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart, was patron in 1789. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew."
"DUGGLEBY, a township in the parish of KIRBY GRINDALYTHE, wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from New Malton, containing 154 inhabitants."
"THIRKLEBY, a township in the parish of KIRBY-GRINDALYTHE, wapentake of BUCKROSE, East riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles S.E. from New Malton, containing 44 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]