KIRBY GRINDALYTHE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"KIRBY GRINDALYTHE, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 9 miles S.E. of New Malton, and 3½ from the Wharram station on the Malton and Driffield railway. The parish, which is of large extent, contains the townships of Kirby, Duggleby, and Thirkleby, and the chapelry of Sledmere. The village is inconsiderable. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. The parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has an embattled tower, with a spire containing three bells. In the chancel are a sedilia and piscina, both in fine preservation; also an ancient stone font, and some lancet-shaped windows. There is also a district church at Sledmere, the living of which is a perpetual curacy Adjoining the parish church are the remains of an ancient monastery, now converted into farm buildings. There is a National school for both sexes."
"DUGGLEBY, a township in the parish of Kirby Grindalythe, wapentake of Buckrose, in the East Riding of the county of York, 1½ mile N.E. of the Wharram station, and 7 miles S.E. of Malton, its post town. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. The former is a handsome structure in the Gothic style of architecture. There is also a school with a small endowment."
"THIRKLEBY, a township in the parish of Kirby-Grindalythe, wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of New Malton."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013