Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: KIRBY UNDERDALE. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 5,060 acres. Buckrose wapentake. -Population, 293 *1; Church-room, 150 *2; Net value, £867. -This Church was given by Heinegrine, the monk, to St. Mary's Abbey, in whose patronage it continued till it came to the Crown.
Patron, the Lord Chancellor.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £21.6s. 8d.; in the King's books at £6.3s. 2d., after deducting for Synodals 6s. and Procurations 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 434, at £150 per annum.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1557.
Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. 3s. 4d. per year is paid to the overseers, who apply it to the relief of one or more poor widows.
Thomas Ross's charity. 20s., left in 1629. The donation was in the hands of the churchwardens in 1786, but the Commissioners could not ascertain what had since become of the money. -Vide 11th Report, page 717.
Post town: Pocklington.
Torre's MS. page 765. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 115.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 290. The Population has decreased 42 persons since 1831, in consequence of emigration.
*2 In 1818, estimated at 300.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.