Hide

KIRBY UNDERDALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"KIRBY UNDERDALE, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, East Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Pocklington, its post town, and 5 W. of Burdale station on the Malton and Driffield railway. It contains the hamlets of Garrowby, Uncleby, Painsthorpe, and Hanging Grimston. The village, which is small, is situated on the Bridlington and York road, near a rapid descent of the Wolds. There are several hills, one of which, 800 feet above the level of the sea, gradually descends to the plain of York. Tho soil is various, but in general fertile. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £867, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a small structure with a tower containing three bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1828. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Right Hon. Sir Charles Wood, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."


"GARROWBY, a hamlet in the parish of Kirby Underdale, East Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Pocklington. Here is a seat of the Right Hon. Sir C. Wood, Bart."


"HANGING GRIMSTON, a hamlet in the parish of Kirby Underdale, East Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Pocklington."


"PAINSTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Kirby Underdale, in the East Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Pocklington."


"UNCLEBY, a hamlet in the parish of Kirby Underdale, East Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Pocklington."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013