Kirby Underdale parish:


Kirby Underdale, History transcription:

The dates of various parts of the Churchon a plaque in All Saints Church, Kirby Underdale.

Nave and lower part of Tower, about 1150
Arcades and North and South Aisles, about 1200
Vestry 1828. Chancel and Porch rebuilt 1870
Heads of original windows of Nave, with traces of fresco, above the later arches.
Chancel Arch, two semi-circular rolls above a pillaster with scalloped capital. Plain unchamfered Tower Arch.
West Doorway, recessed Arch of 2 Orders with zig-zag and roll ornament, pillasters with scalloped capitals. Modern Font.
Herringbone-work in Tower, inside and outside, and on both sides of Nave Walls. Bowl of 14 century Font in South Aisle.
Blocked Doorway over Tower Arch, which formerly led to a priest's chamber over a flat ceiling in the Nave.
Two 3-light Windows in North Aisle, 14th Century, one restored.
Lancet Window, East End of North Aisle, 1200.
Original.Plinth of South Aisle, much worn near door.
Capitals of South Doorway, with nailhead ornament, 1200.
Mason's marks on West pilaster of South Aisle.
Floor of Nave slopes West to East, following slope of ground.
Roman Stone, with Figure of Mercury, in North Aisle.
Modern Rood over Chancel Arch. Modern Stained Glass.
In Porch: Tombstone of Roger Wilberfoss of Garrowby, 1532.
Outside : In West wall of Vestry, Scratch Dial
     In East wall of South Aisle, Merel Table
     Parts of 13th century Grave Slabs built into Walls of North Aisle.
In Churchyard : Stone Coffin, Base of Boundary Cross.

Data transcribed by
Jack Parry.
from photography by Colin Hinson