The Ancient Parish of KIRK ELLA
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRK ELLA, a parish-town in Hullshire; and adjoining 5 miles WNW. of Hull. From the Domesday book, it appears that at the time of the survey, the village of Kirk Ella, was a part of the possessions of Ralph de Mortimer. In the reign of Edward II. a great part of the lands in this parish were in the hands of Lord Wake, of Cottingham. At present several branches of the ancient mercantile family of Sykes possess a large property in this parish, and are patrons of the church. Here, as well as at Ferriby and Cottingham, several of the wealthy merchants of Hull have elegant places of residence. In the church at Kirk-Ella, dedicated to St Andrew, which appears to be a very ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), is a handsome monument erected to the memory of the late Joseph Sykes, Esq. who is supposed to have had more extensive dealings with the nobles and merchants of Sweden, than any other person in England; he was twice mayor of the town of Kingston-upon-Hull: he died in the year 1805. Population, 368."
"ANLABY, in the parishes of North Ferriby, Hessle, and Kirk Ella, in Hullshire; ¾ mile ESE. of Kirk Ella, 5 miles W. of Hull, at the western extremity of the marshy plain in which that town is situated. Is a pleasant village, adorned with several elegant seats. This village formerly belonged to the ancient family of the Anlabys, who derived their name from the manor. In the year 1100 the heiress of that house carried it by marriage into the family of Legard, which family resided here from the conquest, till nearly the close of the last century. Population 307."
"SOUTH ELLA, (the seat of John Broadley, Esq.) in the township and parish of Kirk-Ella; mile N. of Kirk Ella, 8 miles from Hull."
"WEST ELLA, in the parish of Kirk Ella, and wapentake of Hullshire; and adjoining Kirk Ella, (the seat of the Rev. Richard Sykes.)
Mr. Sykes' house is in the parish of Kirk-Ella. The village of West and Kirk-Ella being situated on an elevated situation, commands fine views of the town and port of Hull, the Humber, and of the low country of Holderness."
"WILLERBY, in the parishes of Cottingham and Kirk Ella, and wapentakes of Harthill and Hullshire; ¾ mile N. of Kirk Ella, 6 miles WNW. of Hull."
"WOLFRETON, a single house in the township of Kirk-Ella and Anlaby, and parish of Kirk-Ella; 1 mile NE. of Kirk Ella, 5 miles from Hull."
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- St. Andrew's Church, Kirk Ella. The best view possible.
- St. Andrew's Church, Kirk Ella. What they want you to see from the entrance.
- St. Andrew's Church, Kirk Ella. What you can see from the road (and they're going to build a community centre in the Churchyard!)
- The Methodist Church, West Ella, opened 1895.
- St. John the Baptist's Church, Newington.
- Walton Street Independent Evangelical Church, Kirk Ella. When the photograph was taken, this was Walton Street Independent Evangelical Church, it is now the New Frontiers church - "Jubilee" church.
- Christ Church with Trinity URC, South Ella. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Luke's Church, Willerby.
- The Methodist Church, Willerby. (The Church's website is here.)
- The ex-Methodist Chapel, Willerby, opened 1897.
- The Hull Reform Synagogue, Willerby.
- St. Mark's Church, Anlaby Common.
- St. Peter's Church, Anlaby. (The Church's website is here.)
- Transcript of the entry for Kirk Ella in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kirk Ella.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1829 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirk Ella to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA023292 (Lat/Lon: 53.749141, -0.450129), Kirk Ella which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA058288) East Ella
- (TA075280) Newington
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish