[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRKBURN, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, 4 miles W. of Driffield. The church (see Churches for photograph) is dedicated to St. Mary, and the living, which is a vicarage, in the patronage of the King, and enjoyed by the Rev. William Cautley, B. A. This village forms part of the ample property of Sir M. M. Sykes, Bart. Population 119."
"BATTLEBURN, (High and Low) a hamlet in the parish of Kirkburn, and wapentake of Harthill; ½ mile NNE. of Kirkburn, 8½ miles SW. of Driffield."
"EASTBURN, a farm house in the parish of Kirkburn, and wapentake of Harthill; ¾ mile ENE. of Kirkburn, 3 miles SW. of Driffield. Pop. 12."
"SMITHY BRIGG, a farm house in the parish of Kirkburn, and wapentake of Harthill; 4 miles WSW. of Driffield. Pop. 103"
"SOUTHBURN, in the parish of Kirkburn, and wapentake of Harthill; ¾ mile SE. of Kirkburn, 4 miles WSW. of Driffield. Pop. 103."
"TIBTHORPE, in the parish of Kirkburn, and wapentake of Harthill; 1¼ miles W. of Kirkburn, 6½ miles SW. of Driffield. Pop. 221."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 370 gravestones in Kirkburn Churchyard with a surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Kirkburn in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Kirkburn.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkburn to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE980551 (Lat/Lon: 53.982672, -0.507049), Kirkburn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I Memorial Plaque in St. Mary's Church, Kirkburn.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish