[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LANGTOFT, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering and liberty of St. Peter's; 6 miles N. of Driffield. The church (see Churches for photograph) is dedicated to St. Peter and the living, which is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Langtoft, is enjoyed by the Rev. Jones Thompson. Pop. 416,
Peter Langtoft, an eminent Chronicler, so called from this place, was a Canon regular, of the order of St. Austin, at Bridlington, and wrote a Chronicle of England in French verse, in the time of Edward I. or II. which was afterwards translated in the latter of those reigns, by Robert of Brunne, and edited by Hearns in 1725. He died in the beginning of the reign of Edward II."
"COTTAM, in the parish of Langtoft, wapentake of Dickering, and liberty of St. Peter's; 1¾ miles SW. of Langtoft, 5 miles NNW. of Driffield. Here is a Chapel of Ease (see Churches for photograph) to Langtoft. Pop. 16."
- Photographs of over 480 gravestones in Langtoft Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Langtoft to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA011668 (Lat/Lon: 54.087193, -0.455905), Langtoft which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE987657) Cottam Grange
- (SE999649) Cottam House
- (TA020675) Langtoft Field (now Field House)
- (SE997660) Langtoft Grange
- (TA010655) Tranmere House
- (TA002662) Woodbine Cottage (now Woodbine Farm)
- (TA001665) Wold House
- A transcription of the School Timetables, around 1902-3 in Adobe pdf format.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish