Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: LECONFIELD.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 4,030 acres. Harthill wapentake. Hunslet Beacon. - Population, 301 *1; Church-room, 350; Net value, £54. -At the time of the Norman Survey, here was a fishery yielding four thousand eels.

The manor was parcel of the possessions of the Lords Percy, and sometimes their place of residence, and came to them in the time of King John, by the marriage of Isabel, daughter of Adam, and sister of Peter le Brus of Skelton, for which they and their heirs were to repair to Skelton Castle every Christmas day, and lead the lady of that Castle from her chamber to her Chapel at mass, and thence to her chamber again, and after dinner with her, to depart.

2nd Edward II., Henry Lord Percy obtained the King's licence to fortify his house at Leckonfield.

5th Ric. II., Henry Earl of Northumberland obtained a charter for a weekly market every Tuesday, and a yearly fair on the eve and day of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross and seven days following.

This Church was an ancient Rectory, in the patronage of the Percies, Earls of Northumberland, till that, being in the time of Henry VI., given by Henry Earl of Northumberland to the Abbey of Alnwick, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, Ult. Mart., 1489.

Patron and impropriator, the Earl of Egremont.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10; the Vicarage is valued in the King's books, at £7.: (Bacon says £8, but only £7 is stated in the Valor Ecc.) In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 345, it is stated : " Vicarage, £25; Impropriation, £64. 13s. 4d.;" -and in 1818, at £66. 7s. 4d. per annum.

Augmented in 1737, with £200; and in 1774, with £200 -both by lot; and in 1807, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Earl of Egremont.

Jurisdiction. In the diocese of York. -Vide Beverley.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1551. Chasm 1633-1677.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Beverley.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 237. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 63. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Lachingfield), pages 57. 80. 169. Oliver's Beverley, page 472.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 306.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.