LECONFIELD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"LECONFIELD, a parish in the Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Beverley, its post town, and 1 mile from the Arram station on the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Arram. The stately castle of the Percy family, earls of Northumberland, which formerly stood here, was taken down in 1600 to supply materials for repair of their castle at Wressel. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Scarborough, in the diocese of York. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, has a brick tower containing two bells. There is a school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"ARRAM, a hamlet in the parish of Leconfield, and wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N. of Beverley."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013