[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LEVEN, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 6½ miles W. of Hornsea. Sir W. O. Pennyman, Bart. is the patron of the church (see Churches for photograph), which is a rectory and dedicated to St. Faith, in the deanry of Holderness. Pop. 658.
A canal was cut by the late Mr. Bethell of Rise, from the river Hull to this village, which supplies the greatest part of north and middle Holderness with coals and lime."
"HALLYTREEHOLME, a farm house in the township of Hempholme, and parish of Leven; 2¾ miles NNW. of Leven, 9 miles from Driffield."
"HEIGHHOLME, (or Hayholme Hall), a farm house in the township of Hempholme, and parish of Leven; 1¼ miles NW. of Leven, 7 miles from Driffield, 9 from Beverley."
"HEMPHOLME, in the parish of Leven, wapentake & liberty of Holderness; 3¼ miles NNW. of Leven, 8½ miles SE of Driffield. Pop. 93."
"NEVILLE GRANGE, a farm house in the parish of Leven, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 5 miles NE. of Beverley."
- Photographs of over 550 gravestones etc at Leven Church with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Leven in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Leven.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leven to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA106453 (Lat/Lon: 53.892091, -0.318538), Leven which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA101455) Little Leven
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish