The Ancient Parish of LOCKINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"LOCKINGTON, a parish in the parishes of Lockington and Kilnwick on the Wolds, and wapentake of Harthill; 6¼ miles NNW. of Beverley. Here is a church, dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), and a National School. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the rector, the Rev. Francis Lundy. Population, 491."
"AIKE, in the parishes of Lockington and Beverley, wapentake of Harthill, division of Bainton Beacon; 3¾ miles N. of Beverley. This village was formerly upon an island, which by draining is now connected with the surrounding country. Pop. 98."
"BARF HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Lockington, and wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles E. of Lockington, 8 miles N. of Beverley."
"THORPE, in the parish of Lockington, wapentake of Harthill; ¼ mile SSW. of Lockington, 6 mile NNW. of Beverley."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 260 gravestones in Lockington Churchyard with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Lockington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Lockington.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lockington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE995474 (Lat/Lon: 53.913205, -0.486691), Lockington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-18 Memorial Plaque in Lockington Church.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish