LOCKINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"LOCKINGTON, a parish, and township in the Bainton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Beverley, its post town, and 8 W. of Driffield. The Scarborough, Bridlington, and Hull section of the North-Eastern line of railway has a station at a short distance from the village. The parish includes the townships of Aike and Lockington. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the road from Beverley to Driffield. The Lockington Car canal, formed by the Hotham family, runs for 2 miles to join the river Hull. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £532. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. It contains a mortuary chapel, with tombs and armorial emblems of the Constable family. The Wesleyans have places of worship. There is a National school for both sexes. Lord Hotham is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013